Published on March 12th, 2009 | by Darren Byrne1
Movie News 12/03/09
- Does anyone else find it a little strange that Watchmen’s screenwriter is practically begging people to go see the movie again? David Hayter posted the following on HardcoreNerdity:
If the film made you think. Or argue with your friends. If it inspired a debate about the nature of man, or vigilante justice, or the horror of Nixon abolishing term limits. If you laughed at Bowie hanging with Adrian at Studio 54, or the Silhouette kissing that nurse.
Please go see the movie again next weekend.
You have to understand, everyone is watching to see how the film will do in its second week. If you care about movies that have a brain, or balls, (and this film’s got both, literally), or true adaptations — And if you’re thinking of seeing it again anyway, please go back this weekend, Friday or Saturday night.
Demonstrate the power of the fans, because it’ll help let the people who pay for these movies know what we’d like to see. Because if it drops off the radar after the first weekend, they will never allow a film like this to be made again. In the interests of full disclosure, let me also point out that I do not profit one cent from an increase in box office, although an increase in box office can add to the value of the writers’ eventual residual profits from dvd and tv sales. But I’m not saying it for money. I’m saying it for people like me. I’m saying it for people who love smart, dark entertainment, on a grand, operatic scale. I’m talking to the Snake fans, the Rorschach fans, the people of the Dark Knight.
- Obama gave Gordon Brown a gift of 25 DVDs. Perhaps he thinks Brown will shortly have a lot of spare time on his hands.
- Director Alex Proyas has a new film, Knowing , with Nicholas Cage out at the moment. But the news that he is revisiting his overlooked classic, Dark City , is far more interesting. Apparently he’s considering a sequel to his 1998 sci-fi mind bender.
- Ah, the eternal question – Why Do Terminators Time Travel Naked? The guys at College Humor have the answer .
- New trailers after the break.
- One of the best, most original films I’ve seen in many years is the Swedish horror/drama Let the Right One In. It goes on full release in April. Here’s the trailer:
- Sam Raimi has taking a break from guiding the web-slinger and gone back to his roots. Check out the new trailer for Drag Me To Hell: