Published on April 6th, 2009 | by Darren Byrne9
Movie News 06/04/09
Remakes, remakes everywhere…
- In my ongoing coverage of the remake of A Nightmare on Elm Street, I could not see how anyone could replace Robert Englund as Freddy. Surely, there was no one who could play the iconic baddie as well. Then this week it seems they’ve found someone up to the task. Jackie Earle Haley, who played Rorschach in Watchmen, could be perfect for the role. I’m suddenly no longer appalled by the remake. What does everyone else think?
- I mentioned before that they are remaking Stephen King’s IT. Well, they’ve now confirmed it will be an R rating, so it should be able to cover the darker elements of King‘s novel. I am interested, though I don’t see how anyone could beat Tim Curry as Pennywise the Clown. Maybe Jackie Earle Haley??
- NBC are planning a TV movie remake (kinda) of The Wizard of Oz. The script follows the story of Dorothy Gale, a girl from Kansas who tries to tackle modern-day Manhattan (her version of the Emerald City). Dorothy finds a job in the art world and must deal with her wicked boss. Meh!
- Here’s the first trailer for the Fame remake:
- The Wrestler star Mickey Rourke showed up at WrestleMania and was in the audience during Chris Jericho’s match against Ricky “The Dragon” Steamboat, “Rowdy” Roddy Piper and Jimmy “Superfly” Snuka. After defeating all three of his opponents, Jericho challenged Rourke to come into the ring. Rourke into the ring and laid a few punches on the WWE star.
- Joel Schumacher has lined up Kiefer Sutherland, Rory Culkin and Ellen Barkin to star in drug tale Twelve. Adapted from Nick McDonnell’s book – which he wrote when he was 17 – the plot follows a high school dropout who turns to dealing drugs. At first, it seems to be the perfect way to earn money, but after his cousin is killed and his best friend is arrested for the murder, the shine wears off. It sounds like The Wackness without the fuzzy love story.
- Cancer-stricken actress mer Charlie’s Angels star, aged 62, is said to be has been admitted to the hospital in critical condition. The for unconscious but stable and her longtime partner is at her bedside.
- Aaron Eckhart has signed up to star opposite Nicole Kidman in Rabbit Hole, a drama which sees a married couple finding their married bliss disrupted by the tragic death of their son. They must struggle through grief and emotional instability to regain their happiness. Blah!
- Jason Statham – what’s not to love. Here’s a trailer for Crank 2: