Published on May 7th, 2009 | by Darren Byrne1
Darren’s Movie News 07/05/09
I tell you, if I had the time I would definitely do the Movie News Round Up every day. It builds up so quickly and some days are more hectic than others. Today, we have new movie news, pictures from upcoming shoots, a little gossip and a few trailers.
- In sad news, Dom DeLuise passed away. A Mel Brooks favourite in Silent Movie, Blazing Saddles and History of the World:Part 1, he died on Monday aged 75.
- It was reported a few weeks ago that Farrah Fawcett was hospitalised and was in critical condition. More recently, it seems she has been putting her affairs in order. Sad times for her, her husband Ryan O’Neill and their troubled son, Redmond O’Neill.
- James McAvoy, Elizabeth Banks, Laura Linney and Anna Friel will star in The Details, a black comedy about a couple who discover an infestation of raccoons in their back yard. Arguments over how to deal with the animals lead to an escalating series of unfortunate events. The set up sounds iffy, but it’s a great cast.
- Is Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson finally going to get his teeth into a decent actioner? In Faster, Dwayne will play an ex-con bent on avenging the death of his brother who was murdered when the two were double-crossed during a heist.
- The Irishman is based on the life of mobster Danny Greene, who lorded over Cleveland’s criminal underworld during the 1970s. Christopher Walken will play a loan-shark and nightclub owner and Val Kilmer will portray a Cleveland cop who befriends Greene (played by Rome’s Ray Stevenson). Starts filming shortly.
- Check out Brandon Routh as Dylan Dog, a nightmare investigator in Dead of Night. Other cast members include Sam Huntington, Taye Diggs and Peter Stormare.
- Meryl Streep is the latest star to sign up for Wes Anderson’s Fantastic Mr. Fox as the voice of Mrs. Fox. She joins George Clooney (Mr. Fox), Bill Murray, Jason Schwartzman, Willem Defoe, Jarvis Cocker, Michael Gambon and Owen Wilson.
- Seth MacFarlane has announced that plans for a Family Guy big screen movie are well underway. I love Family Guy and I really hope this is good, but I have a feeling it will just be like The Simpsons Movie – an underwhelming, long TV episode.
- I mentioned before that Scarlett Johannson was to make her directorial debut in the Paris, Je t’Aime spin-off New York, I Love You, but it seems her short film has been cut from the project. Aw! This makes me a sad puppy!
- In some positive Wolverine news, it looks as though one of the best characters in the film, Deadpool, is likely to get a spin off. Assuming Ryan Reynolds returns, this could be fantastic.
- Check out the moment Kirk meets Kirk:
I have a few trailers to share with you now:
- This Summer…we have GI Joe, Transformers and now… My Little Pony, the Live Action Movie:
- Give ’em Hell, Malone is Thomas Jane’s new gangster flick:
- Porn God, Ron Jeremy, stars in this horror comedy thing (well, strictly speaking he isn’t as much the star as his…well…have a look…):
- Tetro is Francis Ford Coppola’s new movie:
Lastly, here’s the trailer for Julie and Julia, starring Meryl Streep and Amy Adams: