Published on May 8th, 2009 | by Darren Byrne6
Darren’s Movie News 08/05/09
How many different versions of classic tales can there be? IMDB lists over 200 different films with the character Count Dracula in them (I’m sure there’s more) and Dr. Henry Jekyll has appeared in over 60 titles. What’s being added after each retelling? What’s been taken away? The entire mystery element of the Jekyll and Hyde story has long since been quashed so…
- …I don’t see what Keanu Reeves new version of the Jekyll and Hyde tale, Jekyll, can add. James Nesbitt had an excellent mini-series on BBC two years ago with the same title. That definitely had a fresh slant on the story, so I guess Reeves’ movie could do the same. I’m dubious.
- Vin Diesel is set to play and expert driver in a new movie. 3 Fast 3 Furious? Nope – it’s called The Wheelman. Pointless!
- Director of 3 Saw movies and the incredible Repo: The Genetic Opera, Darren Lynn Bousmann is set to reboot another horror franchise, Mother’s Day. The original Mother’s Day revolved around three female friends who, while camping, are attacked by two brothers who murder and rape to impress their deranged mother. The remake sees the family return to the house where they grew up to massacre the new owners. It will be vicious and bloody, have no doubt.
- I had almost given up hope on their ever being a sequel to the genius Sin City, but this week Robert Rodriguez confirmed that it will definitely go ahead and could start filming as early as next year. Woo!
- Samuel L. Jackson is set to play the pirate negotiator, Andrew Mwangura, in a true story based on the life of the negotiator between pirates and the owners of vessels hijacked off the coast of Africa.
Get these motherfucking pirates off my motherfucking boat
- The latest Terminator Salvation trailer has me very excited (despite the PG13):
Come with me if you want to live