Published on September 30th, 2009 | by darraghdoyle6
Are you Ireland’s biggest inner geek? Celebrate Geek and win!
I feel somewhat conflicted in posting this, considering I really believe I could have won it if I hadn’t been asked to be a judge. A new competition has been announced today to search for Ireland’s “biggest inner geek”.
NERDS √16 EVER! If you got that, you could be just the person Microsoft is looking for. To celebrate the launch of Windows 7 on October 22, the computer giant has begun a nationwide search for Ireland’s biggest inner geek
The press release points to nominations for people who for example
- Know more people online than in the real world;
- Get their kids out of bed at an unearthly hour on Christmas morning just so they can play with their kids’ new gadgets;
- Prefer to instant message someone even though they are in the same room;
- Always have to have the latest and greatest MP3 player, mobile phone or computer game;
- Be prone to bouts of nostalgia, discussing Wolfenstein, Windows 3.0, Comic Chat and 8-bit gaming at every possible opportunity;
- Text more than talk to their friends.
which could apply to an awful lot of people I know, never mind the members of the site I work for!
This competition allows people to nominate their geeks over on http://www.celebrategeek.ie.
All you have to do is go there, enter your nomination and to outline the important role that gadgets and technology plays in the nominee’s life. Nominations close at 6pm on Wednesday 14th October 2009. A panel of judges – including 2FM DJ and twitter Rick O’Shea and the lovely Marie Boran, of Gadgetrepublic.com – will select the winner and the prize will be awarded at a special party being held in Dublin on 21st of October 2009 to mark the launch of Windows 7 in Ireland.
The winner will receive a home entertainment package including a copy of Windows 7, a laptop, an Xbox 360 Elite, Xbox LIVE subscription, a selection of video games and a mobile phone. Everyone nominated and those who nominate them will be entered into a draw to attend the launch party in the Temple Bar Music Centre on Wednesday 21st October.