Published on March 10th, 2011 | by Peter3
2011 ESB Electric Ireland Feis Ceoil 4-15th April
ESB Electric Ireland Feis Ceoil, Ireland’s biggest classical music festival, is set to showcase the talent of over 4,000 musicians from all over Ireland at the annual festival from 4th to 15th April inclusive.
The email came in to me with this note attached:
This ones for you chief…. you’re our Culch.ie trad music man
But this is not a trad Irish feis ceol.That said, I wouldn’t let that throw you off the scent. I shall continue….
The competition now has over 190 individual classical music competitions including voice, piano, strings, wind, brass and orchestra….
Here’s Why I like it:
I have to admit, it’s probably been school days since I went to a classical anything performance. But I will and do listen to it. Not intentionally or as I might in the case of lets say The Rolling Stones when they played Slane kind of a way. But in a world gone mad with Jedward and the likes playing Croke Park and their tickets working out there at a potential €2.50 per gig – your nippers first time in Croker…. are you following where I’m going ?
Can I Get A Hell Yeaaaaah…? In B Minor If You Please
Ticket for these sessions are priced at €5 per day – that’s an entire one day pass for €5 – and anyone can visit the RDS, Dublin over the two weeks Feis Ceoil to enjoy a few relaxing hours of classical music. You can even go away for a bit and come back that evening. It’s a day pass! It’s a fiver !
Some of the most outstanding competitors from the 2011 ESB Electric Ireland Feis Ceoil will be showcased at a special Gala Concert in the Dublin Convention Centre on April 16th 2011. The concert will feature The Celtic Tenors, and will be attended by the Patron of Feis Ceoil Association, President of Ireland, Mary McAleese. Tickets for this bit as you can gather are a little more expensive [not really…] and cost €15, €12.50 if you are a student/ OAP or you can get a family ticket [2 grown ups + 2 children] for €40
Other info that may be of benefit:
- The only day the gigs don’t run is Sunday 10th April.
- There are 4 venues including St Marys Church hall in Simmonscourt.
- You can – very simply – turn up at the RDS and pay your €5 at the door.
- The Feis Ceoil lads are on Facebook – but at this moment you need to FB search ESB Electric Ireland Feis Ceoil
- For the final gala night tickets can be booked in advance on www.tickets.ie
- Keep an eye on www.feisceoil.ie for more info.
A huge thanks to
- Laura Gilsenan, Feis Ceoil CEO – a real pleasure talking to you.
- kate Fitzgerald of WHPR
- and credit were it is due, fair play to ESB Electric Ireland for standing up the plate as sponsors.