Published on October 9th, 2009 | by Sean6
Dr. Manfattan’s Movie News 10/10/09
- Seems like even Ridley Scott is looking to tap into this vampire-movie craze. John Logan is teaming up with Fox to write The Passage, a vampire novel by Jordan Aisley which could be directed by Scott. Apparently the script version has been lying around for a few years over at Fox 2000, supposedly waiting until Aisley actually finished the book. In the novel, terminally ill patients become healthy after they are bitten by bats in South America, and the government conducts secret tests on human subjects to see if the virus can cure illness. The result is an apocalyptic unleashing of bloodthirsty vampire test subjects that include death row inmates. Sounds cool I suppose. Thoughts?
- So here’s an eary look at the (alleged) Karate Kid remake, Kung Fu Kid. Jaden Smith plays Dre (really?Dre?) who is forced to move to China after his single mother (Taraji P. Henson) is forced to transfer to the China for work. Unable to speak Chinese, Dre finds it hard to settle in, and gets beaten up by the local bully. Jackie Chan plays Mr. Han, a maintenance man who spots Dre’s black-eye and offers to teach him both martial arts and Chinese, so he can defend against the students of Li Quan Ha’s Fighting dragon school of Kung-Fu. I just really don’t get why this is being called a Karate Kid remake because it’s just so different. I mean it could be good, but I’m gonna remain skeptical until I at least see a trailer…
- And here it is! The first pic of the brand-new A-Team gang. The remake/adaptation is currently filming, and this is one of the first shots to leak onto the interwebs. From left to right: Quinton Jackson as B A Baracus, Liam Neeson as Hannibal, Sharlto Copley (District 9) as Murdock, and Bradley Cooper as Face. Joe Carnahan is directing. The film is due out on 11th June 2010, and personally I kind of like the look of this team, although admittedly I haven’t seen a whole lot of the tv show….(please don’t kill me!!)
- Apparently 20th Century Fox are developing the uber-popular PC game Spore into a Hollywood movie. The game will be adapted into an animated feature, directed by the co-director of Ice Age, Chris Wedge. In a recent interview Wedge said: “I’m always looking for unique worlds to go to in animation. From every perspective – visually, thematically and comedically – the world of Spore provides the potential to put something truly original on the screen.” In the game I think users practically create their own character and take it on an evolutionary trip from single-celled organism to galaxy-conquering race…could be interesting!
- Robert Downey Jr. is set to star in the next film by the creative team behind The Hangover. Due Date, directed by Todd Philips and also starring, Zack Galifianakis, Michelle Monaghan and Jamie Foxx who recently starred opposite Downey in The Soloist. Downey and Galifianakis will play ‘two unlikely companions who are thrown together on a road trip that turns out to be as life-changing as it is outrageous.’ As generic as that sounds, if the people behind the brilliance of the hangover can pull it off with this one, as well as having Downey Jr. on form, this could be great.
- Remember Spider-Man 3? I sure do. Remember what they did to Venom? Turned a kick-ass, psycho character into…well…Topher Grace? Well apparently Sony think they can remedy this and are properly moving ahead with a Venom spin-off, and they seem pretty serious about it. They have hired Oscar nominee Gary Ross to write and possibly direct it. This is the same guy who directed Seabiscuit and Pleasantville by the way. So obviously a film about a psychotic, violent, alien-symbiotic being swinging from skyscrapers is the next progression. I’d love if a proper Venom movie could be made because it could be brilliant, but unfortunately with the whole PG-13 obsession the studios seem to have I dunno if they could honour the source material.
- Brand new Imaginarium Of Doctor Parnassus trailer. Looking good:
- Woody Harrelson here not killing zombies in The Messenger:
- Em, yeah the new New Moon trailer….yay?
- And finally, brilliantly, the full Toy Story 3 trailer. This looks amazing!!